Hyrdet, hyttyset.......

Historiaan ja historianharrastukseen liittyvä keskustelu
Vastaa Viestiin
Robert Sixcones

Hyrdet, hyttyset.......

Viesti Kirjoittaja Robert Sixcones » La 07.08.2010 18:57

nuo verta imevät pikku paskiaiset ja muutama läppä jotka bongasin netistä.

“We passed the night, around our fires. Prevented from falling asleep by the labour of brushing away the voracious hordes of mosquitoes, which unceasingly beset us with their stings, and poured forth their hateful and incessant buzzing in our ears. It certainly requires a different species of philosophy to withstand, undisturbed, the attacks of this ravenous insect. He who is inflicted, without complaining, by an unexpected change of fortune, or the death of a friend, may be thrown into a fit of restless impatience by the stings of a mosquito; and the traveler who is prepared to withstand the savage scalping knife, and the enraged bear, has nothing to oppose to the attacks of the enemy, which is too minute to be dreaded, and too numerous to be destroyed.”
Henry Rowe Schoolcraft, Minnesota, 1820 (Schoolcraft 270-71)

"…the special Canadian mosquitoes, with their cruel torment. I really believe the plagues of Egypt were not more agonizing.”
-Father Gabriel Marest, 1700 (Farmen, 9)

"But musketoes Bitt's [bite] with their sharpe bill in such a manner, that have their head Swell'd. as big as a tilterkin [presumably kilderkin, an 18-gallon cask], as to a man's not Seeing a mar'k he fires at for them is nothing, for on Coming out of the woods You may very well sweep a bushell of[f] one mans head;-Nay! Have been so thick we have been obliged to Shovel them away before we Cou'd gett in at the Doors.”
~Giles Isham, Hudson Bay, 1743 (McCook, 27)

"…mosquitoes by the millions, and woodticks…tormented almost to death by insects...annoyed us so that we took no supper.”
-Alexander Henry (younger), Portage La Prairie, 1802 (Henry, 212)

"Camped in an open plain where the musquitoes tormented us much & our horses more - Having tied mine I was not apprehensive that they would go off, & I told the others to do the same but they only tied some of them & left the rest at liberty - Not being able to sleep with the flies Some of us got uo, & lo! Eight of the horses were missing..."
~ Charles McKenzie, Upper Missouri River, 1806 (Wood & Theissen 296)

"…myriads of mosquitoes which appeared determined to extract the last drop of blood from my body. After battling with them until 4 o'clock next morning, my eyes almost blinded with their stings, I went in search of the horses.”
~Paul Kane, near Fort Garry, 1846 (McCook, 2Cool

"…we could neither speak nor breathe without our mouths being filled with them; close your eyes and you had fast half a dozen. Fires were lit all around, but of no avail.”
~Alexander Murray, Porcupine and Yukon River confluence, 1847 (McCook, 2Cool
TT
member of F.E.W.S.
Hot Damn
Je Vois Tout
Don't go away mad! Just go away!
Robert Sixcornet
Karhu
Wilawane
Blackhand
BlackArse
Uncle Rhinestone
http://cows-finland.org/kuvagalleria/in ... ?cat=10004

Wequashim

Viesti Kirjoittaja Wequashim » Ti 12.07.2011 20:06

Laitetaan tämä Pehr Kalmin kirjoitus v.1750-1751.

“The wearing of a piece of cheesecloth netting over your head may serve as a barrier to
the bugs.”

Vastaa Viestiin